- City: Kapa'a
- State / Province: HI
- Country: United States
- Listed: October 9, 2017 3:14 pm
- Expires: 18 days, 15 hours
Save the Lihue Post Office
The U.S. Postal Service is planning to close the old Lihue Post Office in favor of a new new office adjacent to the airport.
The Lihue Post Office building is a classic, old Hawaiian building, reflecting the natural beauty and simplicity of a period that has all but disappeared. Built in 1939, it’s a functional, roomy and well-built structure, having survived several hurricanes. When you walk inside the open-air lobby, the high ceilings and graceful fixtures take you back in time, to a Kauai of 80 years ago.
Aside from the fact that the old Lihue Post Office is beautiful and very serviceable, it’s also a traditional meeting place in the center of town, where people gather and connect, or simply run into each other while going about their daily business. From this perspective, the building is more than simply a branch post office. It’s an important landmark and architectural gem that helps to connect the community with its past. If this building is closed, it will leave a gaping hole on Kauai that cannot easily be filled.
If you’re concerned about this closure, please attend the public meeting on Wednesday, Oct 11th, at 5 p.m. at the Kauai War Memorial Convention Hall on Hardy Street. Alternatively, send your comments to: U.S. Postal Service, Attn: Greg Shelton – Lihue, HI, 200 E. Kentucky Ave., Denver, CO 80209.
Bart Walton, Kapaa
103 total views, 1 today
Subscribe to our Free “HeartBeat of Kauai” Email Newsletter
Donate to the Kauai Muse
Most Visited Content
- Francine Kanter CCH, RsHom, Board Certified Homeopath Practitioner (32558 views)
- Tantric Arts of Love (18236 views)
- Life on Kaua’i: Wild Pigs in Paradise By Gabriela Taylor (12423 views)
- Chris Jaeb, Malama Kauai and Common Ground (11757 views)
- Bikram Yoga Kapaa & The Yoga House Co-Op (11403 views)
- Wordless Communication by Jane A. Cormack (10729 views)
- Kauai Farmers Co-op, who’s your farmer? (9521 views)
- An Evening at the Burning Ghats (9289 views)
- Chutney Indian and Nepalese Cuisine (7538 views)
- What Makes a Youth ” at-risk ” ? ( continued from post ” This Body Is a Victory “) (6731 views)