- City: Kapaa
- State / Province: HI
- Country: United States
- Listed: December 3, 2017 4:46 pm
- Expires: 15 days, 10 hours
If you read The Garden Island last Sunday (Dec 3rd), you’ll know that the state has commissioned a feasibility study on a new state run inter-Island ferry system.
As many of you recall, in 2007, the citizens of this Island vehemently resisted the Super Ferry project and actually blocked the harbor at Nawiliwili to prevent the ferry from landing. Well, now they’re trying again.
An inter-Island ferry sounds great on the surface. But in fact, a daily ferry service will only provide an easy and open channel for drugs and other criminal activity to spread from Honolulu to Kauai. Also, it will increase the tourist traffic significantly.
If you agree that this is not a good idea for Kauai, please write to your state legislators. You can find your legislators at this web site: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/findleg.aspx?
Here is a sample email you might want to use to write to your senator and representative:
Dear Senator / Congressperson,
We read in today’s newspaper (TGI) that a new study has been commissioned to look into a state run inter-Island ferry service. Please know that the majority of people on Kauai do not want this service. Currently, we have relatively low crime rates on Kauai we want to keep it that way. If you open ferry service, the crime rates and drug problems will increase significantly.
As I’m sure you recall, in 2007, the people of Kauai strongly resisted the Super Ferry project and physically blocked the ferry landing at Nawiliwili. I believe that if a new passenger ferry tries to land here, the people of Kauai will make every effort to block the harbor in a similar fashion.
Thank you for listening to us on this matter.
Bart and Anne Walton
147 total views, 1 today
Subscribe to our Free “HeartBeat of Kauai” Email Newsletter
Donate to the Kauai Muse
Most Visited Content
- Francine Kanter CCH, RsHom, Board Certified Homeopath Practitioner (33121 views)
- Tantric Arts of Love (18521 views)
- Chris Jaeb, Malama Kauai and Common Ground (11954 views)
- Bikram Yoga Kapaa & The Yoga House Co-Op (11599 views)
- Wordless Communication by Jane A. Cormack (10906 views)
- Kauai Farmers Co-op, who’s your farmer? (9694 views)
- An Evening at the Burning Ghats (9426 views)
- Chutney Indian and Nepalese Cuisine (7680 views)
- What Makes a Youth ” at-risk ” ? ( continued from post ” This Body Is a Victory “) (7048 views)
- Should Cursive be Saved? (CNN online Responsibility Project) (6496 views)