- Personal or Company Name: Al Albergate
- Street: P.O. Box 223235
- City: Princeville
- State / Province: HI
- Country: United States
- Zip/Postal Code: 96722
- Area Code & Phone: 310-780-9266
- Listed: January 11, 2017 7:51 pm
- Expires: 4 days, 21 hours
NEWS RELEASE: MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR., DAY 2018
Contact: Al Albergate, email@example.com, 310-780-9266
The 2018 celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr., Day on Monday, Jan. 15, 2018, will focus on the theme: “Celebrating the Cultures of Kaua’i: One Garden, Many Flowers.” The public is invited to celebrate the diversity and harmony of the varied groups that call Kaua’i home from 10 a.m. to 12 noon, with free lunch following, at the Lihue Neighborhood Center, 3353 Eono Street, Lihue 96766.
Through music, food and video the audience will experience the contributions of the Native Hawaiians, Chinese, Japanese and various other immigrants from Asia, Europe and the Americas. The program will close with everybody invited to join in singing “We Are the World” led by the Kauai Voices singers.
The program includes a video about the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968), who dedicated himself to ensuring equal rights, dignity and justice through non-violent means to all people; that all people could live together in peace. The national holiday honoring King’s birthday was established in 1983 by the U.S. Congress and President Ronald Reagan.
To paraphrase the words of Dr. King’s widow, Corretta Scott King: The Holiday provides a unique opportunity to teach young people to counter hatred and fear without resorting to violence, and to get into the habit of asking themselves, “what is the most loving way I can resolve this conflict?”
This free, public event is sponsored by the Interfaith Roundtable of Kaua’i (IROK) which holds a King Day event annually. The Roundtable promotes peaceful interaction and cooperation among people of various religions, spiritual paths and philosophies. For more information on IROK go to www.interfaithroundtableofkauai.org.
91 total views, 2 today
Subscribe to our Free “HeartBeat of Kauai” Email Newsletter
Donate to the Kauai Muse
Most Visited Content
- Francine Kanter CCH, RsHom, Board Certified Homeopath Practitioner (33541 views)
- Tantric Arts of Love (18703 views)
- Chris Jaeb, Malama Kauai and Common Ground (12068 views)
- Bikram Yoga Kapaa & The Yoga House Co-Op (11774 views)
- Wordless Communication by Jane A. Cormack (11036 views)
- Kauai Farmers Co-op, who’s your farmer? (9814 views)
- An Evening at the Burning Ghats (9525 views)
- Chutney Indian and Nepalese Cuisine (7778 views)
- What Makes a Youth ” at-risk ” ? ( continued from post ” This Body Is a Victory “) (7155 views)
- Should Cursive be Saved? (CNN online Responsibility Project) (6593 views)