- Personal or Company Name: Joan levy
- Street: POB 160
- City: Kapaa
- State / Province: HI
- Country: United States
- Zip/Postal Code: 96746
- Area Code & Phone: 808-651-4670
- Listed: February 9, 2018 9:55 pm
- Expires: 19 days, 4 hours
please copy/paste and email testimony to AENtestimony@capitol.hawaii.gov
Chair Gabbard, Chair Baker and members of the committees,
I am writing to testify in strong support of SB3095. I am deeply concerned with the effects of pesticide application and pesticide drift on our keiki health while at school.
There are at least 27 schools in Hawai‘i within a mile of commercial agricultural operations that apply large volumes of restricted-use pesticides. The American Academy of Pediatrics, and several recent peer reviewed studies have found there to be a significantly increased health risk for children exposed to pesticides, and additional precautions must be taken to protect them from unintended exposure. Studies in California found strong association with adverse health effects including autism, autism spectrum disorders, ADHD, fetal defects.
There is no incentive to comply, no penalties and the data obtained will always be unreliable. That is why California has adopted the most comprehensive pesticide use reporting system in the country. Hawaiʻi should also adopt mandatory pesticide reporting, as the types and amounts of pesticides used per acre in Hawaiʻi agriculture are similar to those used in California.
SB3095 is an important step toward fulfilling the objectives and recommendations contained within the State sponsored Joint Fact Finding study group (JFFG) report and I strongly encourage this committee to pass this measure and other related measures today.
78 total views, 3 today
Subscribe to our Free “HeartBeat of Kauai” Email Newsletter
Donate to the Kauai Muse
Most Visited Content
- Francine Kanter CCH, RsHom, Board Certified Homeopath Practitioner (33973 views)
- Tantric Arts of Love (18908 views)
- Chris Jaeb, Malama Kauai and Common Ground (12235 views)
- Bikram Yoga Kapaa & The Yoga House Co-Op (11914 views)
- Wordless Communication by Jane A. Cormack (11146 views)
- Kauai Farmers Co-op, who’s your farmer? (9941 views)
- An Evening at the Burning Ghats (9615 views)
- Chutney Indian and Nepalese Cuisine (7873 views)
- What Makes a Youth ” at-risk ” ? ( continued from post ” This Body Is a Victory “) (7296 views)
- Should Cursive be Saved? (CNN online Responsibility Project) (6695 views)